YMT Vacations - Product Manager
At YMT Vacations, the goal is to provide our guests with affordable vacations they will remember for years to come. We assemble hotel, tour, sightseeing, and cruise components and offer a range of inclusive value-priced escorted tour and cruise/tour vacation packages throughout North America and worldwide. We sell direct to customers from sales offices in Los Angeles and Detroit. Prospects respond to advertisements placed in a variety of media including newspapers, magazines, newsletters, radio campaigns, DR TV, direct mail and online.
YMT Vacations is a member of the TUI Travel Group of companies, one of the largest and most successful travel and tourism organizations in the world.
The Product Manager manages a portfolio of tour programs and is responsible for product planning and development, contracting of included services, costing and pricing, sales performance measurement and yield management. The Product Manager is responsible for the full product lifecycle of assigned portfolios from planning to the guest experience.
The Product Manager must provide successful management of revenue, occupancy and margin to achieve company goals. The Product Manager must work tenaciously to monitor sales pace, tour load factors and other KPIs to ensure that we are on track. When necessary, this role will influence marketing activity to address issues using all available tools, including but not limited to discount management, tactical activity recommendations, sales incentives, tour capacity and inventory management.
MAJOR AREA OF RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Product Planning, Contracting & Portfolio Management
- Proactively plan, develop, own and manage YMT tours through the product lifecycle while remaining in line with business timescales.
- Negotiate contract rates and terms: hotels, DMC’s, cruise lines, optional tour operators, and special offers, while remaining in compliance with health and safety, and other relevant regulations.
- Manage and maintain vendor relationships along with contract administration.
- Collaborate with Marketing department to define product marketing spend plan.
- Provide tour set-up for reservation system (Softrip).
- Write and maintain accuracy of appealing tour itinerary descriptions
- Collaborate closely with Marketing department for brochure and collateral production.
Pricing & Business Performance Management
- Manage tour pricing and set costs, by analyzing historic performance, market influences and budget requirements; define assumptions and propose selling prices.
- Collaborate with Air department to set future air pricing, and identify the best commercial and tactical marketing opportunities for the supply of air.
- Closely monitor sales against budget and pace by using available data sources and reports.
- Manage planned promotions, discounts and tactical activities, by working closely with Marketing department to drive sales with focus on achieving budgeted tour load factors.
- Manage tour capacity and inventory.
- Continuously develop recommendations and implement initiatives that improve product P&L.
Quality Assurance & Product Expertise
- Collaborate with Tour Operations department to define operational delivery standards.
- Assist with vendor performance management, as needed.
- Provide training for sales and reservations staff on tour products and destinations.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of management experience in travel industry; experience with product management, contracting and pricing required.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in travel, business administration, marketing or related field.
- Advanced analytical skills with demonstrated ability to work through the development of complex business solutions.
- Familiarity working in MS Office (Excel) and a data warehouse.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal, with the ability to direct the actions of others.
- Must be flexible and responsive to changing priorities while working under pressure to meet immediate deadlines.
- Collaborative nature with the ability to interact with a variety of staff from all levels, including heavy interaction with executive team.
- Willingness to travel occasionally (domestically and/or internationally) for trade shows, product contracting, planning and destination familiarization.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who can identify actionable business goals, initiate projects and implement change.
Duties and responsibilities are generally performed in an office environment with a regular work schedule. Environmental conditions generally include ambient to cool inside temperature, ambient inside lighting and ambient inside low noise levels. Physical demands generally include frequent reaching and grasping, light to moderate lifting (10-20 lbs.), and light to moderate carrying. Mobility demands generally include continuous sitting and occasional standing. Sensory demands generally include keyboarding, computer terminal, and telephone operation.
- Burning desire to succeed
- Competitive as an individual and as part of a team
- Takes pride in superior service and professionalism
- Walking, bending, pushing, reaching and lifting up to 50 lbs. (additional weight may be required with assistance)
- May be required to sit for long duration periods.
ENVIRONMENT AND SCOPE:
This incumbent has a high degree of autonomy over own work load. Must keep a professional demeanour at all times when representing the company.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to add to or modify the duties and/or responsibilities of the Manager.
Join us! Please submit your resume and a few lines about what makes you a good candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org